Eddie Howe is one of the names in the frame to be the new manager of Newcastle.
He was debated in the Soccer Saturday studio on Sky Sports ahead of the trip to Crystal Palace.
Pundits Michael Dawson and Kris Boyd disagreed over Howe’s credentials on the show (2.06pm, 23/10).
Dawson said: “I’d like to see Eddie Howe. He’s been out of work for a long while since he left Bournemouth.
“He was linked with the Celtic job and I think what he did with Bournemouth when he got them up…”
“I’m not having that,” Boyd cut him off. “With the city of Newcastle, all the fans there – you’ve got to get results there.”
Boyd’s inference harks back to the misconception that the Newcastle job is a hard one because the fans are too demanding.
All they want is for their side to try, have ambition and if possible, play some decent football.
That is not too much to ask for and it should not be too much for a good manager to provide.
Howe worked wonders at Bournemouth and has been described as a ‘special’ manager in the past.
- Opinion: Eddie Howe should be loaning out 24-year-old in January, it will benefit everyone
- 'Confidence': Reporter states what Newcastle source told him about club's survival hopes
- Mark Lawrenson predicts the result of Newcastle v Burnley and whether NUFC will stay up
- 'Obsessed', 'go on you Gooners': Some Toon fans react to what they heard at Old Trafford last night
- Some Newcastle fans really need to stop thinking about 61-year-old manager now – Opinion