Blackburn Rovers manager Tony Mowbray has insisted that Newcastle United transfer target Ben Brereton Diaz will not leave the club in January.
According to TEAMtalk, Mowbray has claimed that the Lancashire side will ‘resist any bids’ for their prized asset in the transfer window.
The Chile international became the 24th Rovers player hit 20 goals in a single season when the scored the winner against Barnsley on Wednesday night.
He is also the quickest to achieve the feat since former Blackburn and Newcastle legend Alan Shearer in 1994-95.
With 20 Championship goals from 24 appearances, Brereton Diaz is spearheading Rovers’ Premier League promotion charge.
But with Callum Wilson facing up to six weeks out ahead of a crucial run of fixtures, it was wondered whether the timing of Newcastle number nine’s injury would see the Magpies crank up their interest in Brereton, who cannot stop scoring.
Eurosport reported last month that the Toon Army are interested in signing the Chilean, but face stiff competition from Leeds United and Southampton among other clubs.
La Liga giants Sevilla, Brighton and Burnley were amongst the clubs credited with an interest in Brereton.
According to the Sun, they claimed it could take a fee in the region of £25m to prize Brereton away from promotion chasing Blackburn.
However, Mowbray looks to have poured cold water on Newcastle’s chances of signing Ben Brereton Diaz and he sees the Chilean remaining at Ewood Park for the time being.
Mowbray said: “I need to clarify, we’re not looking to sell Ben Brereton, we need him to hopefully get 40 goals and help the team be successful this year.”
Rovers will take up the one-year contract extension option on Brereton Diaz and they are also trying again to agree a new long-term deal with the Chile international.
- Report: NUFC have been watching 'very aggressive' 20-year-old who Hargreaves says is 'fantastic'
- 'So special': Sean Longstaff names his favourite ever moment as a Newcastle United player
- 'My worry is': Lee Bowyer has one big Eddie Howe fear at Newcastle for next season
- Report: It’s now impossible that £40m player leaves Newcastle this summer
- Danish football expert tells Newcastle fans what to expect from 'special' Yankuba Minteh