Newcastle are apparently keen to bolster their central defensive options with the signing of James Tarkowski.
The Telegraph have reported that the new owners want to make the England international one of their first signings.
But they also say that they are not planning for that to be the end of their January business.
They claim that the new owners now also want at least one full-back, a central midfielder , a winger and a centre forward on top of Tarkowski at centre-back.
It is hard to glean too much into who the exact nature of the transfer targets will be.
It likely depends on the identity of the new manager. There is little point signing players the new boss does not want.
Even getting Tarkowski before a new man is appointed would be a risk. Any new faces need to get the approval from any new manager and director of football.
In theory, half of Newcastle’s outfield players could be different by their first game of February.
With Callum Wilson and Martin Dubravka set to return from injury too, the starting XI could be set for an overhaul.
It has been a whirlwind few days, and time will be needed for the scouting department to whittle down their list of potential signings in all five positions which need strengthening.
- Lucas Moura tells Newcastle that money doesn’t guarantee trophies
- Danny Murphy feels that Newcastle need three new defenders to beat drop
- Mehrdad Ghodoussi sends message to Newcastle fans ahead of today’s game with Tottenham
- Report: Newcastle to lead Tottenham in chase for Serie A goal machine
- Alan Shearer has a simple instruction for Newcastle fans today