Newcastle United have reportedly made a bid to sign Lorenzo Pellegrini.
That’s according to Corriere Dello Sport, who claim the Magpies have offered Roma £51million for the midfielder. However, they report that the bid has been turned down by Jose Mourinho’s side.
Had they said yes, Newcastle could have been on the brink of breaking their transfer record. It would have eclipsed the £40million arrival of Joelinton three years ago.
There still seems to be a very good chance that Newcastle could have a new record signing this summer. Reports of this offer come after the Times claimed last month that Eddie Howe’s side are willing to pay more than they ever have before to sign Lucas Paqueta.
For now, neither player is coming to St James’ Park. However, there is still hope of a deal for the Brazilian following a report stating he wants to leave Lyon.
As for Pellegrini, he is simply too important to Roma.
Jose Mourinho adores Lorenzo Pellegrini
Roma have had a season to remember, winning their first European trophy since triumphing in the Fairs Cup back in 1961. They beat Feyenoord in the final, with Pellegrini playing the full game.
He’a fantastic midfielder, and a player who Roma boss Jose Mourinho absolutely loves.
“He [Pellegrini] can do everything,” Mourinho told the press last year.
If we had three Pellegrini’s, they would all be starting the game at the same time. They would never stay all three in the bench.
“He is multifunctional, he can adapt to different roles. The other day when we were 10 he played on the internal part of the right flank and created the chance for Tammy [Abraham] to hit the crossbar.
“He is smart, can understand the game and my ideas. If there were three of him, they would all play.”
Pellegrini’s versatility in midfield could really have benefitted Newcastle next season, as we look to surge up the Premier League table.
He could have became teammates with Kieran Trippier, but instead he’ll be playing against him on Saturday. The 25-year-old is in the Italy squad that is set to face England in the Nations League at Molineux.
The Magpies’ bid to bring in Pellegrini has failed, making him the second Roma player they’ve been unable to sign this summer.
Pellegrini isn’t the only Roma player Newcastle have bid for
Talk of a bid for Pellegrini comes after it was reported in Italy that Newcastle tried to sign Nicolo Zaniolo.
Sky Italia reported at the weekend that Roma will look to sell the 22-year-old this summer. They add that Howe’s side came forward with an offer, but Zaniolo turned it down.
That’s a shame, as Zaniolo is another player who could have been a gamechanger for Newcastle. He’s an exceptional talent who has done incredibly well to bounce back from a horrific injury.
Sadly, he won’t be continuing his career in Newcastle, and neither will his teammate Lorenzo Pellegrini.
Rome wasn’t built in a day, and neither will the new Newcastle United.