Newcastle are interested in Barcelona defender Clement Lenglet, according to reports from Spain.
Spanish outlet Sport claim that Newcastle want a left-footed central defender and Lenglet fits the bill.
Lenglet has a release clause of £265 million, according to the BBC.
But that is only an indication of Barcelona’s panic after Paris Saint-Germain paid Neymar’s release clause.
Most of their players have enormous release clauses which will not be matched.
Even allowing for Newcastle’s new wealth, there is no way they would be asked to get anywhere near that.
In fact, the report says that Lenglet would be a relatively good value bargain in January.
Barcelona are in dire financial straits and that is something Newcastle could take advantage of in January.
That sentence is almost scarcely believable when you see it written down but it is the current reality.
Newcastle’s interest in players will likely only firm up once a new manager and director of football has been appointed.
That means we must wait and see whether Lenglet becomes a serious target.
- Callum Wilson returns: Predicted Newcastle lineup to face Tottenham
- Saint-Maximin names his toughest PL opponent
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Newcastle v Tottenham
- Benitez and Rodgers distance themselves from Newcastle job
- Emery reportedly being considered by Newcastle