Newcastle have been linked with a swoop for Paris Saint-Germain defender Abdou Diallo.
A report by French outlet Foot Mercato claims that Diallo is among the names being considered by the Magpies.
Diallo joined PSG from Borussia Dortmind in July 2019 for a fee of around £29 million.
He has made nine appearances for Mauricio Pochettino’s side so far this season.
How good is Diallo?
In June 2018, when Dortmund signed him, their sporting director Michael Zorc raved about Diallo.
He said: “He is a modern, strong central defender who is very intelligent.
“He can play a wider defensive role too or even be deployed in a defensive midfield role.”
He is 25, with Champions League experience, having played at two of the biggest clubs in the world.
Diallo has never played in England, but looking from afar, it looks like he would be a strong signing.
Is it plausible?
The report suggests that Newcastle could find it tricky to convince Diallo to come.
His Paris Saint-Germain salary is likely to be significant and he is apparently happy at the club.
That said, he has only played once since September, and that lack of gametime could convince him to move.
Eddie Howe reportedly wants to strengthen Newcastle’s defence in January, so the link fits from that point of view at least.
But Newcastle will be linked with so many players in the weeks ahead that it is often a case of waiting to see who they firm up their interest in.
- Opinion: Eddie Howe should be loaning out 24-year-old in January, it will benefit everyone
- 'Confidence': Reporter states what Newcastle source told him about club's survival hopes
- Mark Lawrenson predicts the result of Newcastle v Burnley and whether NUFC will stay up
- 'Obsessed', 'go on you Gooners': Some Toon fans react to what they heard at Old Trafford last night
- Some Newcastle fans really need to stop thinking about 61-year-old manager now – Opinion