Yesterday saw reports that two Newcastle summer transfer targets have moved closer to joining other clubs.
Kristoffer Ajer looks set to join Brentford ahead of their first season in the Premier League.
That would be a blow; he’s got huge quality, seems affordable and Newcastle have seemingly lost out to a newly-promoted side.
Ozan Kabak is also reportedly of interest and could be set for Leicester for £8 million – even if that deal isn’t as close as Ajer’s.
But missing out on Kabak would not be as big a blow.
He was abject for Schalke in the early part of last season. Liverpool’s loan bid for him was baffling on the basis of his form for a side who were relegated from the Bundesliga last season.
Liverpool saw him up close and decided not to sign him, even for £8 million when they’ve got form for picking up a cheap gem.
So Liverpool don’t think he’s worth £8 million as cover after a season when their central defensive options were decimated by injury.
Not being good enough for Anfield doesn’t make you a bad player, but it is worth thinking about.
How much did Kabak show during his time in England to suggest he’ll shine in the Premier League? Not a great deal.
He got his head down and formed a decent partnership with Nat Phillips once he decided to keep it simple.
Missing out on Kabak might add to the general frustration around Newcastle right now but the Magpies really wouldn’t be missing out on that much.
- Newcastle transfer news: Previous Toon target Ozan Kabak could leave Schalke for free
- Newcastle transfer news: Toon offered Mariano Diaz
- Newcastle transfer news: Manchester United want huge loan fee for Axel Tuanzebe
- Newcastle transfer news: Magpies ask Juventus about Aaron Ramsey
- The return of Graeme Jones on Friday should boost Newcastle United’s pre-season preparations – opinion