Newcastle United manager Steve Bruce appeared live on TalkSPORT this morning.
His interview covered a range of topics, from the protracted takeover of the club to the expectation of the fans.
Bruce said: “It is difficult managing the expectation that is still here.”
This notion that Newcastle fans expect too much has been a common misconception for far too long now.
It’s a wildly inaccurate stereotype that Newcastle fans expect their side to be competing at the top of the league.
It’s also wide of the mark to suggest they expect thrilling football every time their side steps onto the pitch.
But they want hope. They want to feel their club hasn’t given up on the cup competitions or finishing in the European spots.
The club sees Premier League survival as the limit of its ambitious and that is what frustrates the fanbase.
They also expect better than a run of two wins in 20 games – which is what they had this season.
Some fans on Twitter reacted angrily to Bruce’s comments, citing them as further evidence that he just doesn’t get it.
Here’s how his comments went down with some supporters on social media:
- Alan Shearer reacts as Jonjo Shelvey gets sent off against Spurs
- Newcastle fans react as Steve Bruce’s 1000th game ends in defeat
- Confirmed Newcastle United lineup v Tottenham Hotspur
- Lucas Moura tells Newcastle that money doesn’t guarantee trophies
- Danny Murphy feels that Newcastle need three new defenders to beat drop