Callum Wilson worked with new Newcastle manager Eddie Howe during their time together at Bournemouth.
Alan Shearer has told the Athletic that the Magpies number nine has already told hm what Howe is like.
Shearer said that like Bobby Robson, Howe comes across genial but has another side to him.
That pleased Shearer ahead of Howe’s first game in charge, although the new boss won’t be able to attend the game as he has tested positive for Covid.
“I only know him from the outside and he comes across as very measured and calm,” said Shearer of Howe.
“I’ve also spoken about him to Callum Wilson, and he mentions that he has a nasty side. Good. I want that.
“To take big decisions, to survive in the Premier League, you need it. People always forget, but Sir Bobby was like that, too.”
A tentative comparison with Robson from another club legend in Shearer is a good start for Howe.
An even better one would be three points in his maiden outing against Brentford.
That would ignite his reign ahead of a crucial period of winnable games, and Wilson will be key to Newcastle’s hopes.
- Opinion: Eddie Howe should be loaning out 24-year-old in January, it will benefit everyone
- 'Confidence': Reporter states what Newcastle source told him about club's survival hopes
- Mark Lawrenson predicts the result of Newcastle v Burnley and whether NUFC will stay up
- 'Obsessed', 'go on you Gooners': Some Toon fans react to what they heard at Old Trafford last night
- Some Newcastle fans really need to stop thinking about 61-year-old manager now – Opinion