Finally, Steve Bruce has left Newcastle United.

The news broke on Wednesday morning, with the club confirming that the 60-year-old has left via mutual consent.

His replacement is currently unknown, with Graeme Jones taking interim charge as the new owners look for a new manager.

And according to the Chronicle’s Lee Ryder, Paulo Fonseca is the number one target.

AS Roma  v FC Crotone - Serie A
(Photo by Matteo Ciambelli/DeFodi Images via Getty Images)

Following Bruce’s departure, Ryder said on a video on Twitter: “Paulo Fonseca, the former Roma boss, the man at the top of the wanted list, we are told, at the moment.”

Fonseca is currently out of work, having left Roma at the end of last season to be replaced by Jose Mourinho.

 

The 48-year-old nearly became Tottenham boss over the summer, but that move collapsed. It was reported recently that he did not interview well for the job. Then again, they did interview a lot of people…

It was reported earlier in the day by Sky Sports that Fonseca is a contender for the job if Bruce was relived of his duties. That has now happened.

Fonseca has never managed in England, but his desire to play attacking football would surely make him a hit at St James’ Park.

Spezia Calcio v AS Roma - Serie A
(Photo by Gabriele Maltinti/Getty Images)

The fact he is currently a free agent makes him a bit more attractive, as it means a deal can be done more quickly.

However, it is still just speculation at this stage. There are plenty of other managers Newcastle could appoint, and the new owners must take their time to ensure they don’t make a decision they will regret.

But they’ve made their first big decision as Newcastle owners by sacking Steve Bruce. That was absolutely the right call.

Have something to tell us about this article?