Report: PIF and Newcastle to get their wish despite backlash over sponsorship
Photo by Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images

Report: PIF and Newcastle to get their wish despite backlash over sponsorship

It looks like Newcastle United will now be able to agree sponsorship deals with Saudi Arabian companies.

The Premier League had temporarily banned all 20 clubs from agreeing deals with related parties. This was in relation to the Newcastle United takeover that saw PIF buy 80% of the club. The other 20% is split between Amanda Staveley and Jamie Reuben.

There was reportedly a fear from Premier League clubs that Newcastle would agree over-inflated sponsorship deals with Saudi companies. Clubs then voted on a one-month ban, with 18 teams in favour.

Photo by LINDSEY PARNABY/AFP via Getty Images

Newcastle voted against it, while Manchester City abstained.

Interestingly, Leicester voted against it, who play their home games at the King Power Stadium… Meanwhile, there were no complaints when Newcastle ‘agreed’ deals with Sports Direct to splash their horrible logo all over St James’ Park.

Apparently it’s only a problem when it can hinder the other clubs.

But the Sports Direct logos are being taken down, and Newcastle could be on the brink of new sponsorship opportunities.

Photo by Robbie Jay Barratt – AMA/Getty Images

Report outlines new Premier League sponsorship rules for Newcastle and other 19 clubs

According to the Telegraph, new Premier League rules are set to be agreed regarding deals with related parties. It means clubs will be able to agree sponsorship contracts with businesses that are linked to the club’s owners.

This will help Newcastle and PIF, who likely want to strike deals with Saudi-based companies.

Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images

However, they will be prevented from agreeing ridiculously lucrative deals. The Telegraph add that the Premier League will decide whether or not new deals ‘represent fair market value’.

This sounds like the perfect solution. It’s not fair that Newcastle shouldn’t be allowed to agree Saudi-based deals. But on the flip side, the deals have to be realistic. This isn’t Football Manager or FIFA. It’s the real world.

But the other Premier League clubs won’t be able to stop Newcastle anymore. They have simply delayed the inevitable.

LOGIN to Comment
LOGIN to Comment