Newcastle are among the Premier League clubs interested in signing former Chelsea winger Gael Kakuta.
As per the Daily Mail, Crystal Palace and newly-promoted Watford are also keen on the 29-year-old.
He is currently on loan at Ligue 1 outfit Lens, and will join them permanently in the summer.
But the report claims there is scope for a new club to sign Kakuta for just under £9 million before the start of next season.
Kakuta has scored 11 goals in 33 Ligue 1 matches this season, as Lens have mounted a European challenge.
He’s also laid on five assists, in what has been a decent campaign in terms of output.
As a young player, Kakuta came to Chelsea, but he’s become one of the many talented former Blues who have done their best work away from Stamford Bridge.
Now 29, he would be expected to come in and make an instant impact and his price is an affordable one in the current climate.
Newcastle of course had great success securing talent from France during Alan Pardew’s reign.
But they have also had the likes of Henri Saivet who came from Bordeaux and is now a forgotten man.
More important than Newcastle’s recruitment is their style and attitude under Steve Bruce next season, now that survival has been secured.
But looking at the competition for the player, Newcastle should be in a decent position to beat a Palace side who are set for a big summer and a newly-promoted team to land Kakuta.
- Newcastle fans react as Andre Ayew is linked with Toon switch
- Newcastle transfer news: Manchester United to permit season-long loan for Brandon Williams
- Newcastle fans divided over possible Freddie Woodman/Joe Willock swap with Arsenal
- Report claims ex-Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez’s move to Everton is off
- Newcastle reportedly fall behind in race to sign Kristoffer Ajer from Celtic