It appears that Newcastle United still have hope of signing Diego Carlos this month.
That’s despite the fact multiple outlets reported on the Magpies walking away from the deal earlier this week.
It’s been a relentless transfer saga that has frustrated Toon officials and fans, with Sevilla unwilling to part with their player – unless it’s for a crazy fee.
Sky Sports recently reported that the La Liga title chasers want £38million for the 28-year-old. That’s more than Newcastle have put on the table, with their most recent bid reported to be worth around £30million.
Newcastle ‘hold firm’ on Diego Carlos stance
According to the Northern Echo, Toon officials believe Sevilla’s Diego Carlos stance will ‘crumble’ before Monday’s deadline.
The defender wants to join Newcastle, and the reports adds that the club hope he continues to push for a move to St James’ Park. Carlos has already agreed a deal with the Magpies, as reported by Fabrizio Romano.
While other targets have been eyed up, this feels like a bold stance from Newcastle that could end in tears. It feels unlikely that Sevilla will change their mind.
Spanish football expert Alan Feehely told Geordie Boot Boys that Sevilla probably would have said yes if they weren’t chasing the title. But alas, they are second in La Liga, four points behind Real Madrid.
With no La Liga fixtures this weekend, the gap will remain at four points for the rest of the month. Therefore, it would be strange for Sevilla to suddenly decide to sell – unless Newcastle decide to increase their offer.
And even still, that would then mean Sevilla need to find a replacement, and time is running out.
Newcastle might reportedly expect Sevilla to ‘crumble’, but it would still be a major surprise to see Carlos in a Toon shirt by the end of the window.