Newcastle’s takeover has brought exciting reports of potential targets and a brighter future.
The identity of the manager is still be decided but replacing Steve Bruce would please the majority of the fanbase.
But one less glamorous role which needs filling is that of the sporting director.
Getting that appointment right will inform the transfer strategy, and the style of play on the pitch.
The Mirror report that two potential sporting directors have already been interviewed; Antero Henrique and Ralf Rangnick.
Henrique was at Paris Saint-Germain between June 2017 and June 2019, and oversaw the purchase of Kylian Mbappe.
Rangnick has experience of building the Red Bull clubs up, and overseeing an exciting style of football.
Henrique reportedly wants to bring former Tottenham and Chelsea boss Andre Villas Boas with him if he gets the job.
Rangnick may well also have his preferred choice of manager to work with. That will inform the decision-making process.
It is important that Newcastle get these early appointments right to ensure the club moves in the right direction.
- Alan Shearer reacts as Jonjo Shelvey gets sent off against Spurs
- Newcastle fans react as Steve Bruce’s 1000th game ends in defeat
- Confirmed Newcastle United lineup v Tottenham Hotspur
- Lucas Moura tells Newcastle that money doesn’t guarantee trophies
- Danny Murphy feels that Newcastle need three new defenders to beat drop