Reports in Italy claim that Antonio Conte is Newcastle’s number one managerial target.
Gazzetta Dello Sport report that former Chelsea boss Conte is the new owners’ top choice.
The report claims there are no real negotiations so far, but state Conte has always been attracted by concrete projects and real ambition.
Other names are mentioned, such as Eddie Howe, Frank Lampard and even Rafa Benitez.
Benitez is not in the habit of walking away from contracts and only joined Everton in the summer.
And Conte would be another level up from the other two unemployed Englishmen there.
It should be noted that the Telegraph claimed yesterday that Conte is a ‘long shot’ to take the job.
But Newcastle might as well start at the top of their ambitious wish-list and then work from there if Conte says no.
He is a genuinely elite manager, demanding of only the very highest standards from his players.
Appointing Conte would be an enormous statement of intent from the new owners.
It must be said, there’s a lot to do before that stage is reached, but what a lift it would give the club and city.
Steve Bruce is still in situ, but his days look increasingly numbered.
- Jamie Carragher explains why Newcastle are a 'big problem' for Arsenal
- 'That's the bottom line': Newcastle's £20m man urges club not to take his shirt number off him
- Report: Howe's going to give Newcastle's £15m player a chance to prove himself in pre-season
- Report: 28-year-old now likely to leave Newcastle, but his teammate's going to stay at SJP
- ‘Steve had him’: Shearer says Newcastle came so close to signing West Ham star