Eddie Howe has gone with Joe Willock in central midfield alongside Joe Willock during his Newcastle reign so far.
Last night was also the first time he had put Federico Fernandez on the pitch, which he only did when Ciaran Clark had been sent off.
Alan Shearer was on commentary for the game on Amazon Prime and had his say on both players.
“You can hear Eddie Howe on the touchline screaming at Joe Willock because for the second time in three or four minutes he actually gave the ball away.
“We’re yet to see that form he showed last season when he came to Newcastle and scored all those goals. He’s yet to find that this season.”
On Fernandez, he said: “I’m surprised he didn’t start in the first place because the crowd have been crying out for him.
“They like him, he has been one of the reliable ones.”
Clark’s suspension means that Fernandez should keep his place in the side for the huge game against Burnley.
Jamaal Lascelles will likely be his partner but the captain missed last night’s game because of an accumulation of yellow cards.
Willock is playing a different role to the one he was in under Steve Bruce by the end and maybe that will spark some improvement in his game in the weeks ahead.
- Agent talk of £59m move away is laughable; Toon player's focus should be ending his woeful form
- Report: Newcastle in loan chase for 22-year-old Thomas Tuchel has branded 'solid'
- Report: Newcastle open talks to sign Premier League benchwarmer on loan
- Report: Newcastle return with second offer for 32-cap international after rejection
- Boost for Newcastle defenders as key Leeds player is ruled out of Saturday clash