Paul Merson has predicted the result of Newcastle’s huge clash with Watford on Saturday for Sportskeeda.
The match is a huge one for both sides in the battle to beat the drop from the Premier League.
Eddie Howe will be looking for a response after last weekend’s 1-0 home defeat to League 1 outfit Cambridge and he has since signed Chris Wood.
“The next three weeks will determine if Newcastlestay up this season. I know they’ve signed Chris Wood and Kieran Trippier – two good pros who will roll up their sleeves and fight for the team – but I worry for them. Who else could they get?
“You have to go for the players who want to come to Newcastle and it has to be said that there are a few who don’t want to, as was the case with Lucas Digne, who moved to Aston Villa from Everton.
“They’ve won just one Premier League game this season and lost to Cambridge United despite fielding their strongest XI, which is just not good enough. A draw would do no favors for Newcastle, but that’s my prediction for this relegation six-pointer this week.
“Watford have to come away without getting beat and they have the quality to do that as they are more of a threat up front than Newcastle. It’s an absolute miracle that each of the bottom four have a chance of staying up – a win or two can change the landscape completely. Prediction: Newcastle United 1-1 Watford.”
This is something of a must-win game for Newcastle and the arrival of Wood should get the fans going at St James’ Park.
That home advantage should help Newcastle against a Watford side who they dominated for large periods at Vicarage Road in September before getting pegged back for a 1-1 draw.
Wood should help in terms of offering a threat in the box, and what a moment it would be if the new boy could score a debut goal.
- 'Talks will continue': 21-year-old striker has just become Newcastle's 'new top target' – Romano
- 'Being honest': £20m Newcastle star admits he didn't play very well against Nottingham Forest
- Report: Newcastle have now made a decision about signing £60m midfielder
- 'In the next days': NUFC will now bid for striker who embarrassed Lascelles recently – journalist
- Report: NUFC now want 'maverick' who replaced Bruno in January, he was amazing at SJP last year