Paul Merson has predicted the outcome of Newcastle’s clash with West Ham today on Sportskeeda.
St James’ Park will be back at full capacity after a season behind closed doors last time around.
And former Arsenal star Merson, who also works as a pundit for Sky Sports, can’t split the sides.
“With the fans back at St. James’ Park, this could be a massive game of football. Will that help the players or not? That remains to be seen,” wrote Merson.
“West Ham had an amazing season last time around, so the pressure will be on them to produce the goods once again.
“They exceeded expectations, but people will look at them and think they should be up there once again, so we will have to wait and see how David Moyes and co respond in the weeks ahead.
“I don’t like predicting draws but I’m sitting on the fence here – I think this game will end 1-1.”
Newcastle actually faced West Ham on the opening day of last season as well.
On that occasion, the Magpies were the away team and they won 2-0 at the London Stadium.
Perhaps the return of fans will spur Newcastle on but it could also lead to nervousness and tension in the ground.
- Alan Shearer reacts as Jonjo Shelvey gets sent off against Spurs
- Newcastle fans react as Steve Bruce’s 1000th game ends in defeat
- Confirmed Newcastle United lineup v Tottenham Hotspur
- Lucas Moura tells Newcastle that money doesn’t guarantee trophies
- Danny Murphy feels that Newcastle need three new defenders to beat drop