The return of Premier League action after the international break means the return of Mark Lawrenson’s weekly BBC predictions column.
The former Liverpool defender has delivered his verdict on how he thinks Newcastle’s first game since the takeover will go against Tottenham.
Steve Bruce will still be in charge and Newcastle are still looking for their first win of the season.
Lawro’s Newcastle vs Tottenham prediction
“I keep reading about who the next Newcastle manager is going to be, so I feel sorry for Magpies boss Steve Bruce, because no-one has come out and said what is happening to him.
“Whatever the decision is on his future, just tell him and make it public – don’t just leave him dangling. It’s not an ideal situation for him or his players.
“Tottenham found a bit of form against Aston Villa in their last game, but they are still far from convincing and I don’t think they will be able to spoil the party for the Newcastle fans in the stands.”
Lawro’s prediction: 1-1
If Lawrenson is right, the wait for that first win will go on.
The atmosphere at St James’ Park will be electric and it would be a great way to start the new era if Newcastle could clinch victory.
Lawrenson is more optimistic than fellow pundit Paul Merson, who thinks Newcastle will go down 2-1 tomorrow.
- Report provides worrying update about Newcastle’s director of football search
- Report: Newcastle make massive offer to player called a ‘phenomenon’ by Messi
- Newcastle target Darwin Nunez scores hat-trick in Covid-ravaged clash
- Former Newcastle striker Andy Carroll gets off the mark at Reading
- Jamal Lewis could start against Norwich due to Matt Ritchie suspension