Newcastle United finished the summer transfer window with a whimper.
There was hope that the club would bring in one or two players on loan.
Hamza Choudhury and Boubacar Kamara seemed to be the most talked-about and reported-on players on Tuesday.
But neither came, and the Magpies instead landed 19-year-old Santiago Munoz, who will go straight into the academy.
Many Newcastle fans were not surprised by the club’s sorry end to the window. But the inevitability of it all didn’t make it any less frustrating.
MORE NEWCASTLE STORIES
There is an interesting claim from Spurs report Alasdair Gold tonight that Newcastle’s number two Graeme Jones actually tried to play his part on Tuesday.
Apparently he vouched for the signing of Cameron Carter-Vickers from Tottenham Hotspur.
The USA international had been mentioned as a potential target leading up to deadline day.
Jones told officials that he felt the 23-year-old could do a job at St. James’ Park.
Gold said on the Gold & Guest podcast (quoted by Chronicle): “I know Newcastle were interested.
“They had a real think about bringing him in this window as well because I think it’s Graeme Jones who is at Newcastle, was also at Bournemouth and also (at Luton).
“I think he had him at both clubs and he was telling Newcastle ‘look, I think he could do a job’ but it didn’t happen in the end.”
Ultimately, Carter-Vickers would move to Celtic for the season instead.
Newcastle should have pressed ahead
Newcastle officials should have trusted Jones.
The man has worked with Carter-Vickers previously and clearly rates him.
We don’t know if there was any real push from Newcastle to get him, but the fact of the matter is he has now gone to Celtic.
Hopefully, he doesn’t turn out to be a regret.