Newcastle United boss Eddie Howe announced that Federico Fernandez wouldn’t feature in Thursday’s clash with Liverpool. Additionally, it appears that the Argentine will miss most of the festive period with a thigh problem.
Howe told the press, “we’ve lost Federico Fernandez through injury. We’re not sure of the extent, but he’ll miss this game and the majority over the festive period.”
It’s certainly a huge blow for the Magpies, with a 4-0 hammering from Leicester last weekend, Fernandez could well have featured on Thursday.
Fernandez’s injury adds to Newcastle fans’ blues
For some fans, Fernandez is the best defender at the club. Also, before the injury announcement, many of them would’ve wanted to see the 32-year-old start at Anfield.
Since Howe took the reigns of the Toon Army, Fernandez and Schar looked like the best pairing going forward. When he came off the bench against Norwich and looked incredibly solid and composed at centre-back. Furthermore, Howe has spoken before about how he admires his professionalism and hard work in training.
Perhaps the injury had been lurking prior to the announcement and is the reason the defender hasn’t featured as much. Fernandez’s lack of selection was perhaps to protect him in hope of a quick recovery.
It’s no surprise once the news was announced, many fans took Twitter to give their take. Here’s what fans online had to say…
There is no doubt the Christmas period will be an incredibly tough time for Newcastle. Next, the Magpies face Liverpool, Man City and Man United in their next three games.
Also, with those said games being in such a short space missing defensive cover in Fernandez is a massive blow. Both the club and the players will be hoping the Argentine returns sooner rather than later with a tough rest of the season ahead.