So where do things stand with a potential takeover at Newcastle United? Who knows.
After the initial excitement and buzz among supporters, things have gone pretty quiet. Fans are desperate to know what is going on, but we’ve had a week of zero news.
The initial story broke on the night of May 26th. Everyone was tucked up in bed, or out on the lash as it was a bank holiday weekend, as the Sun reported that Mike Ashley was set to sell the club to Sheikh Khaled for £350million.
Since then we’ve had statements from the Bin Zayed Group, confirming their interest in the club. We’ve also had radio silence from Newcastle United.
But that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. If a deal is at an advanced stage, the club might not actually be able to say anything. But the silence has fans fearing the worst, as we’ve been hurt too many times before. Combine that with Rafa Benitez’s contract winding down, and many Toon fans are at breaking point.
We are desperate for an update; any sort of clarity on the situation. But the noises from reporters are mixed.
The man who broke the initial story Justin Allen believes things are still going to plan and talks are ‘progressing well’.
I’ve been told it’s progressing well. Still with the Premier League … It is a lengthy process so can understand the frustration. Even completing the purchase of a flat can take time but imagine a £350m+ deal. #NUFC
— Justin Allen (@justinallen1976) June 14, 2019
But that view doesn’t seem to be universal. The Telegraph’s Luke Edwards has said that one interested group has withdrawn their interest, while the Times’ George Caulkin tweeted that ‘exclusivity hasn’t been reached’, suggesting that a deal isn’t as close as we’d hope.
And as for takeovers, yeah it’s rumbling on, meetings, demands, counter demands, emails being sent back and forth, conversations taking place, more than one interested party but I’m told one group have pulled out for the time being so that’s less encouraging.
— Luke Edwards (@LukeEdwardsTele) June 13, 2019
No, exclusivity hasn’t been reached.
— George Caulkin (@GeorgeCaulkin) June 14, 2019
The wait continues. There are various different narratives going round, but still there is nothing official to hang your hat on.
One thing is official though: Fans are sick of waiting.