As we await the return of the Premier League, one of the division’s greats will enjoy his testimonial tonight.
Manchester City legend Vincent Kompany will be honoured at the Etihad this evening, and five former Newcastle United players will be taking part in his testimonial.
The game will see a Manchester City legends side take on a Premier League All-Stars XI, with some huge names set to take part in the game such as Thierry Henry and Paul Scholes.
The home side have three former Magpies in their squad: James Milner, Stephen Ireland and Craig Bellamy. And for the All-Stars there’s Shay Given and Nicky Butt.
There are some mixed names there from Newcastle’s past.
- Bellamy was a controversial figure.
- Ireland barely played during a pointless loan spell.
- Milner was just a young and bright talent before Mike Ashley sold him under Kevin Keegan’s nose.
- Shay Given is a Magpies legend for his goalkeeping exploits.
- And Butt was a loyal servant for the Magpies, helping us win the Championship title in 2010.
The game kicks off at 7.45 tonight and will be live on Sky Sports. If you tune in, there’s a decent chance you’ll get to see Stephen Ireland do something he never really did for Newcastle – play football.
As we wait for domestic action to return, it’s good to see a few former Magpies get the chance to take part in a Premier League legend’s testimonial.